Last Friday evening Mrs. Tiedemann and I had the pleasure of attending Uptown Kitchen’s 10th Anniversary Wine Dinner Celebration. Uptown Kitchen is a successful restaurant located in the Heritage Square Center in Granger, Ind.
Uptown Kitchen is a valued customer of Tiedemann Wines and a partner in our Tiedemann on Wines Wine Club. Over the last several years owner, Jonathan Lutz, and his COO, Chris Oliver, have become close, personal friends of ours. To learn more on the history of Uptown Kitchen and Jonathan Lutz please read my blog article on their 9th Anniversary Event. Click here for that post.
Jonathan and his team pulled out all the stops for the evening’s festivities. More than 100 people attended this special occasion. The 10-course meal was paired with a variety of wines presented by Meghan Kirwan of Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits. In addition to the wines paired with the main dinner courses, the two dessert courses featured Baileys, iced coffee and specially prepared eggnog.
Of the menu’s 10 featured courses (see menu here), Mrs. Tiedemann and I believe there were three dishes that were the highlights of the evening, they were simply excellent:
- The Fig and Goat Cheese Salad was very tasty and its presentation was clever and well done
- The Sea Bass in our opinion was the star of the evening. The fish was prepared perfectly with Saffron Carrot Jus, Olive Oil and Fresh Parsley
- A piece of Chocolate Torte was the final course of the evening. This lovely, rich, chocolate torte was a good finish to the evening’s meal
On the wine side of the evening there were eight wines paired, including a Brut Champagne with the first course of Ahi Tuna Poke. For me the standout wines of the evening were clearly:
- Michael David “Petite Petit” Petite Sirah
- Stags Leap “The Investor” a Bordeaux Style Red wine
I certainly want to mention that our table mates for the evening were Chris and Shawn Oliver and Russ and Sarah Hammond, Russ and Chris are lifelong friends. Spending the evening with them made a great event even more enjoyable.
Uptown Kitchen is best known for its breakfast, brunch and lunch menus. Mrs. Tiedemann and I rarely miss Sunday brunch at Uptown Kitchen. However, the wonderful meal served for this event clearly showed the creativity and professionalism of Jonathan Lutz and his staff of chefs and other employees.
It was a fun and enjoyable evening for sure, filled with good food, wine and friends. What more could you ask for on a Friday evening? I am fairly certain that next year there’ll be an 11th Anniversary Dinner. You should be on the lookout for the date and time of that event. These are excellent events and everyone should plan on attending if you enjoy good food and wine.
As always I appreciate your support of our wine blog and encourage you to share it with family and friends. If you are reading this blog for the first time please consider subscribing while you are on the website. This way you’ll get our reviews and articles in your email. If you care to share your comments on this blog posting or other topics please do so in the comments section below.
Until next week,
Calendar of Events
- December 31st – National Champagne Day
- March 3rd – National Mulled Wine Day
- April 17th – International Malbec Day
- May 4th – International Sauvignon Blanc Day
- May 9th – National Moscato Day
- May 21st – National Chardonnay Day
- May 25th – National Wine Day
- June 11th – National Rosé Wine Day