In this week’s blog I am pleased to announce two important items that are taking place at our new LEX 530 Metropolitan Event Center in Elkhart, Indiana.
Executive Chef at LEX 530
After much deliberation and discussion Mrs. Tiedemann and I decided it was very important for the success of LEX 530 that we hire an executive chef as part of our management team. We felt it was necessary for LEX 530 to become a more successful venture. Concurrent with this decision we were fortunate enough to receive the impressive resume of Executive Chef Chad Coryn for consideration.
After interviews, conversations and Chef Chad preparing a dinner for a specially selected group of guests, I am pleased to announce that he agreed to join our LEX 530 team.
Chef Chad Coryn comes to us with 28 years of professional cooking experience in various kitchens and restaurants. In the early years of his professional career he worked in various chains and breakfast restaurants learning the art of cooking. After these positions he spent a long period of time at Elkhart General Hospital where he says he learned exceptional cleanliness and management skills. In more recent years he served as Sous Chef at the restaurant Indigo on 17 where he was quickly promoted to Executive Chef. After Indigo on 17 closed Chef Chad moved to a couple of smaller restaurants until he went to work at Fat Cam’s at Garver Lake restaurant in Edwardsburg, Michigan, where he served in several positions as well as Executive Chef for the past five years.
Not only does Chef Chad bring years of practical experience to this position but he also possesses a great number of key skills necessary to make any kitchen successful. These skills only come with experience and will be very important to the LEX 530 operation. Some of these skills include menu development, teaching skills (which are necessary to develop other kitchen staff members) and strong time management skills. Chef Chad has an associate’s degree in Culinary Arts from Ivy Tech where he is also a teacher.
The management team at LEX 530 is very excited to have Executive Chef Chad as a part of our team. His experience allows us to move the event center forward on a number of fronts. This brings me to my next announcement.
LEX 530 Wine & Dinner Club
With the addition of Chef Chad to our team we are ready and pleased to also announce that we are forming the LEX 530 Wine & Dinner Club. This will replace our current Tiedemann On Wines Wine Club. We certainly hope that our existing wine club members will continue on as LEX 530 club members. The new club will incorporate the benefits of the old club and proved an array of expanded benefits to members and guests.
A dinner club is a group of people who get together on a regular basis. In our case we are planning monthly events, to enjoy food, wine and meet new friends or connect with old ones. Anyone is invited to our events but official club members will receive the membership benefits.
Our primary goal is to provide our members and guests with unique dining and wine tasting opportunities and much more. The club’s goal is to create dinners with themes prepared by our own executive chef or have him team up with guest chefs from throughout the Midwest. All of the wines will be hand selected to pair with the food by myself and other knowledgeable wine professionals. So what are the events we have in mind?
- We will schedule an event once per month and we have currently selected the 3rd Tuesday of every month to hold a club event. These dates are also subject to change depending on the theme and guests. Currently we are in discussion with chefs from:
- Morton’s The Steakhouse in Chicago
- Sean Kelley at Temper Grill
- Bistro on the Boulevard in St. Joseph, Michigan
- As well as several other guest chefs from Chicago
These individuals will come to LEX 530 and be a part of a team who will prepare a dinner for members and guests. The themes will focus on the preparation of meals served. We hope to have Morton’s Night, Temper Grill Night, etc.
- We also have other guests and themes in the works:
- German night where we’ll prepare typical German food with Austrian and German wines selected by wine importer Manfred Bauer of Wine-Bauer Inc. in Chicago.
- Other winemakers and wine experts have agreed to participate in events as well.
Club Membership Includes
- Club ID Card
- Advance notice on all upcoming events
- 10% discount on all available wines (wine list provided)
- 10% discount off the cost of all dinners and special events – the discount also applies for one guest
- Invitations to monthly dinners prepared by guest chefs
- On special occasions, dinners will be held at certain local restaurants
- Visit the kitchen during events to see the Chefs in action
- Invitations to cooking classes and demonstrations
- Invitations to special wine events and walk around tastings
- A LEX 530 kitchen apron
We will continue to work with Uptown Kitchen, our original Tiedemann On Wines Wine Club partner, to provide exclusive events at both Uptown Kitchen as well as LEX 530. As an example we are participating in Uptown’s Valentine’s Day Dinner on February 14. We also have a steak and oyster dinner in the works for March 18. However the location of that event has yet to be determined.
The goal and vision of the wine and dinner club is to expose its members and guests to an array of exceptional food and wine on a regular basis. The LEX 530 Event Center in the developing Elkhart River District is designed especially for such exclusive events.
Purchase your LEX 530 Wine and Dinner Club annual membership for $95.00 by credit card through the blog at https://tiedemannonwines.com/join/. You may also mail your check to: LEX 530 Wine and Dinner Club, 530 E. Lexington Ave., Suite 175, Elkhart, IN 46516; or simply stop by our offices to pay in person.
As always I appreciate your support of our wine blog and encourage you to share it with family and friends. If you are reading this blog for the first time please consider subscribing while you are on the website. This way you’ll get our reviews and articles in your email. If you care to share your comments on this blog posting or other topics please do so in the comments section below.
Until next week,
Calendar of Events
- February 18th – National Drink Wine Day
- March 3rd – National Mulled Wine Day
- April 17th – International Malbec Day
- May 3rd – International Sauvignon Blanc Day
- May 9th – World Moscato Day
- May 23rd – International Chardonnay Day
- May 25th – National Wine Day
- June 8th – National Rosé Wine Day
- June 20th – National Lambrusco Day