I was reading the “Notes and Queries” section of Decanter magazine a couple of weeks back and found where another reader was asking the question, “How much wine per vine?”
I have never paid much attention to that question before, although it is an important one. Especially if you are a grower or a vineyard manager. Since I buy grapes by the ton, I am more interested in how many bottles you can get from a ton of grapes. The answer happens to be about 756 bottles.
Here are some points that make the question hard to answer or at least have to be factored into the answer:
- What type of grape varietal?
- Where is the vineyard located (hillsides, valley floors, etc.)?
- What is the terroir?
- What is the age of the grape vines?
- What is the number of vines per acre?
- How is the weather (too much rain or too much sun)?
- How are the grapes pressed?
- What are the winemaker’s techniques?
As you can imagine, after seeing all of the variables listed above, it is difficult to nail the answer right down to the “drop.” Here are some general thoughts on the question “How much wine does a vine produce?”
- The rule of thumb is that one vine will produce between 3 and 6 bottles
- There are roughly 75 to 100 grapes per cluster and there are typically four clusters per bottle of wine
- A bottle of wine contains around 2.8 pounds of grapes
- A five-ounce glass of wine contains a little over a half of a pound of grapes
- A ton of grapes will produce approximately 60 to 63 cases of wine. When you buy grapes by the ton, this is an important number. One normally makes the decision on how many bottles or cases you want to carry in inventory. Using the 60 to 63 cases per ton of grapes average gives you the ability to back into the number of tons you need to purchase.
I find it fascinating to think about all of these kinds of numbers. In the wine business there are lots of numbers to consider. I usually forget a lot of them and have to go back and look things up.
I think the next time my doctor says I need to watch my weight, I am going to tell him I am into fruit and have about a half pound or more of grapes a day. Regardless of all the numbers, keep drinking the wines you like and experiment with new wines every chance you get.
As always, I appreciate your support of our wine blog and encourage you to share it with family and friends. If you are reading this blog for the first time, please consider subscribing while you are on the website. This way you will get our reviews and articles delivered to you for free in your email box. If you care to share your comments on this blog posting or other topics, please do so in the comments section below.
Upcoming Wine Events For 2021
5/7/21 May Wine Dinner – Our next LEX 530 Wine Dinner will be held on Friday, May 7, 2021, at the LEX 530 Event Center in Elkhart. Treat your mom to a special Mother’s Day Wine Dinner featuring premium wines selected by LEX 530 Wine Director, Stan Minden, to pair with Executive Chef Chad Coryn’s delectable four-course dinner.
RECEPTION: Passed hors d’oeuvres. Paired with an assortment of different wine options.
1ST COURSE: Local asparagus, Serrano ham, pea shoots, Aleppo pepper aioli
2ND COURSE: Pacific halibut, Spring vegetables, clams, saffron tomato broth
3RD COURSE: Rosemary and sumac rubbed lamb, smoked blue mashed, ramps, black garlic jus
4TH COURSE: Peanut butter mousse cake, Dark chocolate ganache, concord grape coulis
If you are a LEX 530 Wine Club Member please contact Courtney at 574-296-1314. Guests must be at least 21 years of age, with a valid ID. Tickets are $100.00 (tax not included). You must purchase your ticket by noon on Friday, April 30th — either online at the link below or by calling Courtney at 574-296-1314 if you are a Wine Club member.
5/21/21 Wine Talk & Taste Event – $30 per person. BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE.
6/11/21 June Wine Dinner featuring music by Julia James
6/25/21 Wine Talk & Taste Event
7/16/21 July Wine Dinner featuring music by Checkmark Sallie
7/30/21 Wine Talk & Taste Event
8/13/21 August Wine Dinner featuring music by Jesse’s Gurl
8/27/21 Wine Talk & Taste Event
9/10/21 September Wine Dinner featuring music by Julia James
9/24/21 Wine Talk & Taste Event
10/5/21 Oktoberfest Dinner with Iechyd Da Brewing Co. with music by Patti Lightfoot
10/22/21 Wine Talk & Taste Event
11/5/21 November Wine Dinner featuring music by Checkmark Sallie
11/19/21 Wine Talk & Taste Event