If you are a fan of wine and drink four to five glasses of wine a week, then you are a candidate for learning about wine. Learning about wine can make your social experiences better. If you like enjoying wine with others, as I do, learning more about wine will allow you to carry on a more interesting conversation about the wines you and others are drinking.
Increasing your knowledge of wine provides a number of benefits:
- It will increase your ability and confidence in buying wine. If you are in a wine shop around hundreds of bottles of wine, or in a restaurant looking at page after page in a wine list, increased wine knowledge will assist you in making better purchasing decisions. This will also lead to greater enjoyment when drinking these wines.
- Having more wine knowledge will help you develop a better sense of taste and smell of wine. This, I believe, leads to better enjoyment of wine overall.
- With increased knowledge, you will have more confidence when talking about wine and your opinions are backed up with more wine knowledge.
- I don’t know about you, but in bygone days, I dreaded ordering wine in a restaurant. Today, with more knowledge of wine, I am very comfortable looking at the wine lists and making a decision on what to order. More knowledge also gives me the ability to ask the waiter or sommelier the right questions. This, in the end, will get me a better bottle of wine to enjoy.
- Knowing more about wine allows you to enjoy it at a whole new level. It also allows you to pass that enjoyment along to friends and family.
- If you possess knowledge of wine aromas and flavors, you will find opportunities to taste similar wines or much better wines from similar wine regions or similar winemakers.
- Food and wine pairings will become much easier and lead to greater enjoyment of your culinary experiences. You might even find that friends and family will want to go out to dinner with you to experience firsthand your knowledge of wines and food.
It is said that learning about wine will enrich your life. Just think about all the things wine is or represents. It has a long history on many fronts, it is the work of many people, and it’s a product of the land and the seasons.
Learning about wine is a fun experience. Wine is a very interesting beverage in that it will touch all of your senses to a wonderful level. Being able to seek out and find delicious wines will be a pleasure for you and all the people with whom you share a love of wine.
As always, I appreciate your support of our wine blog and encourage you to share it with family and friends. If you care to share your comments on this blog posting or other topics, please do so in the comments section below.
Until next week,
Upcoming Wine Events at LEX 530!
There’s just two days to buy tickets for the next Wine Dinner on Friday, February 4, at LEX 530. The reception starts at 6 pm. Dinner begins at 6:30 pm.
Hors D’oeuvre Reception: A showcase of three small bites — each masterfully created by our talented LEX 530 Chefs. Paired with a variety of wines.
2nd Course: Golden Beet & Berry Salad. Roasted golden beets, berries, Marcona almonds, honey goat cheese, herb vinaigrette. Paired with the 2020 Nautilus Sauvignon Blanc.
3rd Course: Hungarian Mushroom Soup. Hearty mushroom cream soup spiced with Hungarian paprika. Paired with the 2016 Ventisquero Grey Pinot Noir.
4th Course: Beef Wellington. Roasted beef tenderloin coated with mushroom Duxelle and prosciutto, wrapped in puff pastry. Paired with the 2015 Red Mare Napa Cabernet Sauvignon.
5th Course: Chai Tea Panna Cotta. Silky smooth custard spiced with chai tea and cardamom. Paired with the 2020 Frost Bitten Ice Riesling.
Tickets are $100.00 (tax not included) each. We ask that you purchase your ticket by noon on Friday, January 28th at noon.
Other Events to Put on Your Calendar:
Friday, February 25 – Wine Talk & Taste
Wednesday, March 16 – Wine Dinner
Friday, March 25 – Wine Talk & Taste
Friday, April 8 – Wine Dinner
Friday, April 22 – Wine Talk & Taste
Friday, May 13 – Wine Dinner
Friday, May 27 – Wine Talk & Taste
Friday, June 10 – Wine Dinner
Friday, June 24 – Wine Talk & Taste
Friday, July 8 – Wine Dinner
Friday, July 29 – Wine Talk & Taste
Friday, August 12 – Wine Dinner
Friday, August 26 – Wine Talk & Taste
Friday, September 9 – Wine Dinner
Friday, September 16 – Wine Talk & Taste
Tuesday, October 11 – Wine Dinner (Oktoberfest)
Friday, October 28 – Wine Talk & Taste
Friday, November 4 – Wine Dinner
Friday, November 18 – Wine Talk & Taste